Mrim is a Justmeans staff writer for the responsible careers news section. Mrim is also the co-creator of the 'More Than Money' (MTM) League. The MTM League is a 6-week self-paced online course designed for working management professionals interested in competing for opportunities in corporate social responsibility, social enterprise, or nonprofit management. The MTM League is a collaboration b...
2011 Good Jobs Green Jobs Conference: Career Insights - Part 4 Of 4
The goal of the 2011 Good Jobs Green Jobs conference was to facilitate a conversation between unions, corporations, nonprofits and government representatives on how to create responsible jobs for workers at all levels of the pyramid. In previous posts, we have explored the range for organizations across sectors who participated in the conference as well as some of the career insights that emerged from conversations on education and responsible business.
But where are the green economy jobs being created? Are these jobs available to all, or are they only being created for engineers or product managers? Are there any entry level positions that are available for young professionals? Examples of real jobs are one of the best ways to explore where green economy jobs are created. As a hub for getting business done better, our Justmeans job board provides clues that green jobs are available for professionals of all experience levels. These jobs are not only for engineers, demand is also strong for professionals that come from non-technical backgrounds. The good news is that green jobs are real and growing. 178 responsible jobs were added to the Justmeans job board since February 1, 2011. Among these jobs, here are a few that clearly shows that jobs in the green economy are available at all levels of experience and for technical and non-technical professionals:
Entry Level Green Jobs:
- Clean Cities Program Assistant - American Lung Association
- Native Plant Nursery Manager - Save The Bay
- Philanthropy Associate - ClimateWorks Foundation
- Program Coordinator, Green Jobs Youth Development - Solar Youth Inc.
- Thorne Natural Science School Teaching Assistant - Thorne Ecological Institute
Mid-Level Green Jobs:
- Energy Efficient Project Manager - Energy Solutions
- EPS Performance Specialist - Earth Advantage Institute
- Key Account Manager - Paladino and Company
- Marketing Director - Bonneville Environmental Foundation
- Office Manager - Chicago Gateway Green
- Program Director For Sustainable Environments Program - Surdna Foundation
- Sales Manager - Green Living Project
Senior Level Green Jobs:
- Director of Feasibility and Development (Solar PV Systems) - Panthera Search Partners
- Director of Institutional Relations - Student Conservation Association
- Executive Director - US Green Building Council
- Senior Energy Engineer - ERS Energy and Resource Solutions
- VP, Construction - Renewable Energy Solutions Americas
From this sample of green jobs, it is clear that green jobs are being created in the private, nonprofit and government sectors. These green jobs are available to entry-level, mid-level and senior level professionals interested in getting business done better through functional expertise such as engineering, marketing, advocacy, education, project management and relationship management. In sum, green jobs are growing, and are providing a unique opportunity for responsible professionals to create a sustainable world.