Vikas is a staff writer for the Sustainable Development news and editorial section on Justmeans. He is an MBA with 20 years of managerial and entrepreneurial experience and global travel. He is the author of "The Power of Money" (Scholars, 2003), a book that presents a revolutionary monetary economic theory on poverty alleviation in the developing world. Vikas is also the official writer...
Holland America Line Supports Fight against Cancer with a Fundraising Program
Holland America Line has launched an innovative shipboard giving program called "On Deck for a Cause" to generate financial assistance for six global cancer organizations. These organizations are located in six different countries, including the U.S., Canada, U.K., Germany, Netherlands and Australia. Under the program, the guests sailing each of the line's 15 ships are invited to participate in a non-competitive fundraising walk.
The proceeds collected through this program will be distributed among the American Cancer Society, Canadian Cancer Society, Cancer Research UK, German Cancer Aid, Dutch Cancer Society and Cancer Council Australia. Guests in all age groups, aboard the line's ships, are invited to donate $20 to the Holland America Line Foundation. A minimum of 80 percent of the amount will be donated to the organizations, while the remaining 20 percent will go to cover administrative expenses of the program.
Participants join in a 5k walk around the ship's decks, as a part of the program. However, the guests are free to walk less or not at all, as per their needs. Participants to the program will also receive "On Deck for a Cause" T-shirts, wristbands and a reception following the walk. Depending on the ship, the distance of 5k may range between nine and 12 laps.
Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer for Holland America Line, said:"With this new program Holland America Line will increase our support of the global fight against cancer.Giving back is part of the Holland America Line culture, and it's gratifying to be able to support these incredible organizations in six countries where the majority of our guests live. This new program will help raise significant funds for cancer research, education, screening, and treatment programs."
In the current year, almost 500 'On Deck for a Cause' events have been planned across the fleet of Holland America Line. Walks will take place on cruises globally, including the Caribbean, Mediterranean, Alaska's Inside Passage, South Pacific, Mexico, the Baltic, Australia, New Zealand, Asia and South America.
Photo Credit: svilen001