BD Releases 2016 Sustainability Report
BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, today issued its 2016 Sustainability Report.
BD’s sustainability strategy is driven by its purpose – advancing the world of health. The report describes BD’s progress against its 2020 Sustainability Goals in four key strategic areas:
- Innovation – health care safety, outcomes and cost
- Access – health care in resource-limited populations
- Efficiency – environmentally sound products and resilient operations
- Empowerment – positive workforce and community impacts.
Key highlights include:
- Innovation – BD has continued to innovate in key areas such as medication management, lab automation and disease management, launching a number of significant new products and solutions to tackle global health issues such as patient and health care worker safety, medication management, antimicrobial resistance, influenza, diabetes and cancer. In 2016, BD was named a Thompson Reuters Top 100 Global Innovator and added to the CNBC IQ100 Index.
- Access – BD works with various partners and countries around the world to drive access to life-saving technologies, strengthen health care systems and address priority health needs. In its eighth year, the BD-PEPFAR Labs for Life partnership is strengthening laboratories across India, Uganda, Mozambique, Ethiopia and Kenya. BD also entered into two, new collaborations with the CDC to address the transmission of disease in medical settings.
- Efficiency – BD demonstrated significant progress towards its 2020 Sustainability Goals in the categories of emissions, energy, waste and water. Notably, 43 percent of the company’s total energy is generated from renewable sources – significant progress to reaching its 2020 Goal of 50 percent, and the company has reduced water consumption globally by 34 percent. The company has also continued to focus on eliminating materials of concern and reducing the lifecycle impact of many of its products.
- Empowerment – As BD has become increasingly diverse, BD has set goals to improve inclusion and diversity at all levels of the organization. BD has continued to support non-profit and educational organizations around the world through the donation of more than $18 million in cash, product and expertise. Organizations benefitting include the BD Helping Build Healthy CommunitiesTM initiative, implemented together with Direct Relief and the National Association of Community Health Centers; Together For Girls; and the BD U.S. Fund for UNICEF Maternal and Neonatal Tetanus Elimination Campaign.
BD is a global medical technology company that is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD leads in patient and health care worker safety and the technologies that enable medical research and clinical laboratories. The company provides innovative solutions that help advance medical research and genomics, enhance the diagnosis of infectious disease and cancer, improve medication management, promote infection prevention, equip surgical and interventional procedures, and support the management of diabetes. The company partners with organizations around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues. BD has nearly 50,000 associates across 50 countries who work in close collaboration with customers and partners to help enhance outcomes, lower health care delivery costs, increase efficiencies, improve health care safety and expand access to health. For more information on BD, please visit www.bd.com.
BD Public Relations
858 617 2361