ITV Announces New Social Purpose Targets, and Creates Award-winning Campaigns
August 1, 2019 - ITV has developed a new Social Purpose strategy and set ambitious targets to drive meaningful change, which are published in our report released this week. With the massive reach of our platforms, much-loved shows and creative talent we have an ability to shape culture for good. We have identified four priorities where we want to make significant difference, externally and internally. These are: championing better mental and physical health for all; fostering creativity by embracing diversity; reducing our impact on the environment; and giving back.
Better health is the social cause we are getting behind, and our goal is to get 10 million people to take action to improve their mental or physical health by 2023. Our targets to improve ITV's on-screen representation and the off-screen make-up of our workforce demonstrate our determination to nurture a diverse and inclusive business. Clear objectives around reducing our greenhouse gas emissions, achieving zero waste, sourcing responsibly and developing a sustainable culture, shape our ambitious environmental targets. Under our fourth priority, giving back, we seek to increase the total raised for Soccer Aid for Unicef, and increase the number of staff who take up ITV’s policy of offering three paid volunteering days a year.
The 2018 report also describes the achievements ITV made under our previous strategy of nurturing People, Planet and Partnerships. Highlights include:
- Over 750,000 more schoolchildren took part in the Daily Mile since ITV began supporting the initiative in April 2018
- We drove a 33% increase in blood donation sign-up during ITV2 ‘Blood Squad’ campaign over Halloween
- We raised awareness of high rates of male suicide in the UK in Project 84 on This Morning, contributing to the appointment of a Minister for Suicide Prevention
- ITV became a carbon neutral business
- 778 hours of ITV television were certified by BAFTA’s sustainability body, albert
- 821 colleagues completed environmental awareness or carbon literacy training
- ITV was ranked in the top 10 best performers in the Hampton Alexander Review of FTSE Women Leaders
- ITV signed the Time to Change pledge to reduce stigma around mental health in the workplace
- ITV Signpost won the Signature Award for services for supporting the Deaf community in the workplace.
For more information about 2018 and our new strategy in 2019 and beyond, find the Social Purpose Report at itvplc.com/socialpurpose