Texan by Nature Honors Vistra for Commitment to Conservation
Texan by Nature (TxN), a Texas-led conservation non-profit founded by former First Lady Laura Bush, has recognized leading, integrated retail electricity and power generation company, Vistra, in the Texan by Nature 20 (TxN 20). The annual list ranks companies with Texas operations that have made a demonstrative commitment to conservation. This year’s honorees are featured in the latest issue of Texas Monthly, which hits newstands on Thursday November, 19.
“From creating exceptional wildlife habitat through reclamation of 85,000+ acres of land, to impacting 11 states with over $3.5 million in donations, Vistra is setting the bar high to do business the right way within their industry and for their 5 million customers,” said Joni Carswell, CEO & President of Texan by Nature. “We are excited to honor Vistra’s innovation and leadership in the Energy Industry category for the 2020 Texan by Nature 20.”
The TxN 20 honorees were selected based upon a stated dedication to conservation, demonstrated commitment to conservation via investment and volunteerism, measurement and reporting of spending and impact on conservation efforts, and employee engagement. Honorees were identified through submissions as well as researched via publicly available information on conservation and sustainability efforts. An esteemed, cross-industry selection committee made the final selection of honorees for the 2020 TxN 20.
“Congratulations to this year’s TxN 20! These companies are leaders in their industries and innovators in conservation. I am thrilled to recognize their efforts, and I encourage other companies to follow their example. Together, we can keep Texas thriving for the next generation,” said former First Lady and Texan by Nature founder, Laura Bush.
2020 TxN 20 HONOREES INCLUDE:
- American Campus Communities
- Cirrus Logic
- City of San Antonio Office of Sustainability
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit
- Dell Technologies
- Dallas Fort Worth International Airport
- Farmer Brothers
- Harvest Seasonal Kitchen
- Marathon Petroleum Corporation
- North Texas Municipal Water District
- Overland Partners Architects + Urban Design
- Plateau Land & Wildlife Management and Braun & Gresham, PLLC
- Sanderson Farms, Inc.
- Texas Health Resources
The TxN 20 2020 Selection Committee members included:
- Lucia Athens, LEED AP, Chief Sustainability Officer – City of Austin
- Andrejs Avots-Avotins, MD, Ph.D., The Elizabeth & Drayton McLane Jr. Chair in Health & Wellness, Vice President of Medical Affairs, and Provider Engagement & Community Affairs – Baylor Scott & White Health
- Tracee Bentley, President & CEO – Permian Strategic Partnership
- Garrett Boone, Co-Founder – The Container Store & Board Member – Trinity Park Conservancy
- Stoney Burke, Public Policy – Amazon Web Services
- Joe Crafton, Principal – Wingshooter Investments, LLC
- Edward Craner, Sr. Vice President – HOLT CAT
- Matthew Crommett, Director – Lyda Hill Philanthropies / LH Capital, Inc.
- Michael Dorff, Communications and Public Affairs – Raytheon
- Maria Dunn, Head of ESG, Sustainability & Policy – Phillips 66
- Kathryn Eastburn, Writer, Journalist, and Author – Self-Employed
- Matt Fajkus, Principal Architect – Matt Fajkus Architecture & Tenured Associate Professor – UT-Austin School of Architecture
- Smith Getterman, Director of Sustainability and Special Projects – Baylor University
- Robert Horton, Vice President, Environmental Affairs & Sustainability – Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport
- Brenda Mainwaring, Assistant Vice President of Public Affairs – Union Pacific Railroad
- Adair Margo, First Lady of El Paso – Tom Lea Institute
- Richard McDonald, Director, Environmental Quality & Sustainability – H-E-B
- James McGuire, Director, Environmental Quality & Sustainability – City of Dallas
- Jimmy Stead, Chief Consumer Banking and Technology Officer, Group Executive Vice President – Frost Bank
- Carlos Swonke, Director, Environmental Affairs Division – Texas Department of Transportation
- Darrel Ward, Sr Vice President, Client Product Group – Dell Technologies
- Neal Wilkins, President & CEO – East Foundation
Texan by Nature (TxN) brings conservation and business together to positively impact natural resources, prosperity, and health across Texas and beyond. TxN partners deeply with conservation groups and business, acting as an accelerator for conservation groups and a strategic partner for business. Their projects and programs (TxN Conservation Wrangler, TxN Certification, Symposia Series, and TxN 20) have impacted 7M+ people, 19.5M acres, and all of Texas' 254 counties over the last 2 years. Get involved and learn more at www.texanbynature.org and follow on Facebook @TexanbyNature, Twitter @TexanbyNature, and Instagram @texanbynature.