Corporate Response to Typhoon Haiyen
Is your company contributing to the relief efforts in the Philippines following Typhoon Haiyan? According to the UN’s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, Typhoon Haiyan affected a total of 9.5 million people across the Philippines and displaced at least 600,000 when it slammed into the country on November 8th. The aftermath of this natural disaster has ignited relief efforts worldwide. Several of our member companies have reached out to the Center to learn what others are doing and to share ways in which they are contributing. We are collecting their stories in our online member community in an effort to share resources and ideas on how people can help.
Here are just a few examples of the initial responses we have heard about:
- Adobe is offering a 2:1 match for all employee donations (US $25 and over) to CARE, Habitat for Humanity International, International Rescue Committee (IRC), or Save the Children to support relief efforts.
- Amway provided an initial donation of $100,000 (USD) in immediate cash and product to support relief and recovery efforts in the Philippines. Next week, they are holding their first ever global volunteer day and plan to assemble 10,000 disaster relief kits to support the recovery efforts.
- Bechtel has made an immediate $50,000 (USD) gift to the American Red Cross and is providing a dollar-for-dollar match of employee contributions to any charity responding to the disaster.
- The Clorox Company Foundation has donated $150,000 (USD) to the Red Cross to be directed to the relief efforts and is matching donations (1:1) to relief agencies made through their workplace giving campaign.
- Covidien is contributing to the Philippines Red Cross and providing product donations to their partners, AmeriCares and Direct Relief.
- The Texas Instruments Foundation will be making an immediate $100,000 (USD) grant to the American Red Cross and will match employee and retiree contributions $1:$1 to the Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fund at the American Red Cross.
- UL (Underwriters Laboratories) is making an initial $20,000 (USD) donation to the Philippines Red Cross in support of the typhoon relief efforts, and will be running a global employee giving campaign where employee donations will be matched dollar for dollar by UL.
We know this barely scratches the surface of our generous member companies. If your company has decided on an action, please share it with your peers in our online member community by clicking here. If you are still assessing the situation we have also gathered a list of resources and organizations that are monitoring and responding to the relief efforts:
- Releifweb- Provides timely and reliable updates and analysis on global crises and disasters in order to help humanitarians and corporations make informed decisions in their relief efforts.
- InterAction-Comprehensive list of non-profits that are currently responding to the crisis
- USAid- Tools and resources for organizations to respond to disasters strategically. Also, provides a list of ways you can help now.
- Philippine Red Cross- Updates and news surrounding the current disaster in the Philippines
- CRS Emergencies- Stories and news stories that assess the current situation with Typhoon Haiyan along with suggestions of how to help.
- Google Crisis Finder- An interactive site that helps family members connect to loved ones in the Philippine crisis.
- Center for Disaster Preparedness- Publications, relevant news, and research resources regarding sound disaster relief practices. Also, provides current information on today’s Philippine crisis.
- Digital Trends- 5 ways anyone can help with relief fund and getting the word out today.
- Shelter Box- Updates on current relief efforts and more suggestions of how to help.
- Please don’t send your old shoes to the Philippines- Article on what not to donate and what really helps in disaster relief efforts.
Resources for donating