Blog Post - Hewlett-Packard
Share our Story
Learn about our Company
HP creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The worlds largest technology company, HP brings together a portfolio that spansprinting,personal computing,software,servicesandIT infrastructureto solve customer problems. More information about HP is available athttp://www.hp.com.
HP Sponsors Study of ICT’s Role in Reducing Emissions
Leaders from nearly 200 countries recently gathered in Doha, Qatar to discuss global impacts and negotiate policies to reduce global emissions at the 18th session of the Conference of the Parties (COP18) to the United Nations Framework Convention for Climate Change. They faced a daunting reality: global carbon dioxide emissions hit record highs in 2011 and are expected to continue their upward climb in 2012, according to The New York Times.
During the event, a new study, entitled “GeSI SMARTer 2020: The Role of ICT in Driving a Sustainable Future,” was unveiled. The study shows how information and communication technology (ICT) has the potential to reduce global greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 16.5 percent by 2020. Conducted by TheBoston Consulting Group, a leading management consulting firm, on behalf of the Global e-Sustainability Initiative (GeSI), the study was sponsored by HP and other leading ICT companies.
The new research identifies potential GHG reductions from ICT-enabled solutions in six areas: power, transportation, manufacturing, consumer and service, agriculture, and buildings. As one of the world’s largest providers of IT infrastructure, software, services, and solutions, HP is in a unique position to respond to the challenges outlined in the study.
In fact, we work to combine the expertise of our people, our technology portfolio, and collaborative partnerships to create environmental solutions that reduce impact and expand opportunities for our business, our customers, and the world. For example:
- The HP POD 240a—also known as the HP EcoPOD—is a modular, ultra-efficient data center that uses 95 percent less facilities energy compared with legacy data center designs while still maintaining peak performance.(1)
- HP Managed Print Services helps organizations save up to 30% in printing costs overall, millions of pages in reduced paper waste, and up to 80% in energy consumption.(2)
- HP energy management services, such as HP Energy and Sustainability Management and HP Carbon Emissions Management Service, help customers measure and manage energy consumption and carbon emissions across the entire IT organization.
- We help people and businesses shift to digital on-demand printing technology—including the HP Inkjet Web Press and HP MagCloud self-publishing web service—enabling them to reduce their carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions.
(1) New POD technology from HP offers 95 percent greater energy efficiency compared with a traditional brick-and-mortar data center, based on internal HP testing.
(2) Estimated energy and paper savings based on analysis of select HP Managed Print Services (MPS) customers’ imaging and printing operations using data gathered on devices and paper consumption, and comparing with post-MPS actuals or projections. Results depend on unique business environments, the way HP products and services are used, and other factors. Overall printing costs are unique to each company and should not be relied on for savings you may achieve. According to industry analysts, savings of up to 30% are typical with managed print services.