Canary Wharf Group Uses Innovation to Create Sustainable London Communities
(3BL Media/Justmeans) – Since its beginnings, Canary Wharf Group has been about innovation and regeneration. The group has a vision to inspire positive impact by developing and sustaining places where high-quality architecture and community placemaking principles combine with dedicated customer service, safety and security. ‘Making Sustainability Real’ is at the heart of everything the group does, according to Chairman and CEO, Sir George Iacobescu.
Canary Wharf Group’s latest Sustainability Report gives a snapshot of its activity and commitments in four key areas: Making Great Places; Pioneering Innovation; Promoting Inclusive Growth; Optimizing Performance. From being primarily a business and retail location, Canary Wharf is going to become a city in its own right. Thousands of people will live there, which will make it a better place to work and a model for 21st century living.
Innovation has been central to Canary Wharf’s development for over 200 years. Canary Wharf Group maintains that commitment to this day, through Level39 – a technology accelerator and magnet for tech companies – and its investment in smart city technologies.
Founded just three years ago, Level39 is one of Canary Wharf’s major success stories. Partnering with some of the world’s largest and most famous companies, this unique service for tech start-ups has rapidly established a global reputation for digital and smart city innovation.
Major corporate partners and tenants include IBM, Intel, UBS and Accenture, which has based its Innovation Lab here, enabling it to be at the forefront of developments. The majority of businesses based here, though, are small companies developing FinTech software – the application of technology for the finance industry.
Making Great Places
- Canary Wharf Group portfolio GRESB 5 Green Star Rated
- Canary Wharf Estate attracts phenomenal talent pool of 115,000 diverse people and companies
- 16 million sq ft office and 1 million sq ft retail created with 11 million sq ft residential and mixed use planned
- Home to Europe’s largest tech accelerator for finance, retail, cyber-security and future cities
- First Project to be awarded Considerate Constructor Scheme ULTRASITE Status
Promoting Inclusive Growth
- 43 percent of Group spending was on local companies
- £2.87m total investment in community engagement projects and programs
- £1.2 billion local spend since 1997
- £4.3 million the value of contracts won in 2015 by companies registered with SLPN
- 8.5 percent reduction in emissions over last 3 years
- 100 percent of Canary Wharf Group electricity from renewable sources
- Zero waste to landfill across CWML-managed areas for sixth consecutive year
- 7,772 m2 green and brown roofs planned
- Four Projects achieved FSC Full Project Certification in 2015
- Multiple industry awards and recognitions spanning stewardship, health & safety, environmental design & construction and contribution to the community
Canary Wharf Group wants the spaces it creates to be home to vibrant, diverse and thriving mixed-use communities, places in which to live and relax as well as work. It aims to create landmarks that express the values upon which its business is built, according to Sir Iacobescu.
Source: 3BL Media
Image Credit: Canary Wharf