Learn about our Company
The Association of Climate Change Officers (ACCO) was founded in August 2008 and incorporated in Washington, DC in January 2009 as a 501(c)(6) non-profit corporation.
Defense, National Security & Climate Change: Building Resilience & Identifying Opportunities
U.S. defense and intelligence communities are increasingly focusing resources on the operational and national security implications of climate change, water and energy. With the most recent quadrennial report identifying climate change as a global destabilizing force for the first time, an intelligence community assessment related global water security, Executive Order 13514 on sustainability across the Federal agencies, and an uncertain and unstable energy market, the challenges before American defense and national security communities to address water, energy and extreme events related risks and opportunities, as well as establish a leaner, more effective operational force in a down economy.
- • Hear insights from senior Federal officials in the Department of Defense, intelligence organizations and other Federal agencies on existing mandates, operational strategies and opportunities for collaboration
- • Participate in roundtable sessions with peers across sectors on topics including:
- Exploring strategies for addressing water problems (shortages, quality and extreme events) and conducting related vulnerability assessments,
- Developing clean energy infrastructure throughout installations and forward operations,
- Identifying new technologies for usage in the theater and in U.S. installations,
- Overcoming barriers to modernizing facilities management and green design in defense installations,
- Operationalizing supply chain programs and modernizing procurement paradigms,
- Stakeholder engagement, external relations, and workforce education/training, and
- Addressing national security implications both domestic and abroad.
- • Examine implications of the recent Global Water Security assessment, Executive Order 13514 and other recent Congressional and Executive mandates on Department of Defense operations and the national security community
- • Explore opportunities for cross-sector working groups