UPS Horizons Newsletter | Accelerating Sustainable Solutions
Accelerating Sustainable Solutions
By Suzanne Lindsay-Walker
UPS Chief Sustainability Officer
Since 2003, UPS has been reporting on our sustainability efforts, offering a comprehensive look into our progress, challenges and opportunities. I'm thrilled to share our latest Sustainability Report, Accelerating Sustainable Solutions, which showcases efforts during 2019. Some of the highlights include:
- Achieving four of our 2020 community and workforce goals one year early
- Expanding our fleet of 10,300 lower-emission delivery vehicles
- Making the largest-ever U.S. investment in renewable natural gas, which will reduce emissions by 1+ million metric tonnes – the equivalent of taking 216,000 cars off the road
- Continued innovating last-mile delivery options by launching UPS Flight Forward™ drone airline, one of the first certified by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
- Published our first-ever Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) Report, enhancing ESG disclosure for investors
While reducing our environmental footprint is a critical part of UPS's sustainability approach, equally important is our commitment to support communities, and engage and empower employees. In 2019, we invested more than $1 billion in employee training and development programs, and continued providing disaster relief to communities around the world. Most recently, we announced action steps to raise awareness around racial equality and social justice issues, including pledging one million volunteer hours in support of underserved Black communities, advocating for legislative change and expanding internal trainings and discussion forums.
I invite you to explore the Report and read the stories below to learn about our collaborations with customers, partners and the amazing UPSers we work with every day.