Bristol-Myers Squibb Earns ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for Third Consecutive Year
NEW YORK, April 10, 2017 /3BL Media/ – For the third consecutive year, the U.S Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recognizes Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (NYSE: BMY) with an ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Award for outstanding efforts to improve the energy efficiency of facilities worldwide. The award reaffirms Bristol-Myers Squibb’s commitment being a good global citizen through driving sustainable and impactful improvements in energy performance across all of our sites worldwide, resulting in energy reductions, avoided costs and lowered emissions.
"We are very pleased that our environmental efforts have been recognized for the third year through the ENERGY STAR Partner program", said Carol Ryerkerk Powell, global head and vice president of Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability, Bristol-Myers Squibb. "This recognition is a testament to our employees who work every day across our company to promote environmental sustainability. Our corporate energy program, with the support of Energy Star tools and resources, has made a significant positive impact to the environment, to our communities and to our employees. Bristol-Myers Squibb looks forward to furthering our commitment with Energy Star as we strive to continuously improve our corporate energy management program."
The Energy Management designation is awarded to organizations for adopting a continuous energy management strategy across the organization's entire portfolio of buildings and plants.
BMS was recognized for the following accomplishments, among others.
- Achieving an annual energy intensity improvement of more than three percent globally, contributing to an 11.4 percent reduction in energy consumption since 2010.
- Implementing 36 major energy projects in 2016, bringing the total number of projects implemented since 2009 to 302. The annual average savings of these projects is $16.2 million based on an investment of $36.9 million.
- Earning ENERGY STAR Certification for the energy performance of four of its buildings.
- Engaging over 320 employees in energy treasure hunts. Since 2015 the treasure hunts have identified energy savings opportunities worth more than $9 million with the potential to reduce energy use, on average, by over 19 percent per site.
- Actively participating in the ENERGY STAR Focus on Energy Efficiency in Pharmaceutical Manufacturing and the ENERGY STAR Industrial Partnership.
- Entering three major facilities in the Energy Star Challenge for Industry.
In addition to the company’s recognition as an ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year, the Bristol-Myers Squibb research and development site in Hopewell, New Jersey, earned the 2017 Challenge for Industry recognition. The ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry is a national call-to-action to improve energy efficiency of America’s manufacturers by 10% or more. By taking the ENERGY STAR Challenge, sites set a goal to reduce their energy intensity by 10% within 5 years. To earn this recognition, the Hopewell site upgraded and optimized its chilled water plants, retrofitted two main boilers and the HVAC systems and performed full LED lighting upgrades, among other improvements.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR has 16,000 partners working to protect the environment through greater energy efficiency, including manufacturers, retailers, public schools, hospitals, real estate companies, and home builders. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners have saved American families and businesses $430 billion on their energy bills and 4.6 trillion kilowatt-hours of energy, while achieving broad emissions reductions—including 2.8 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions.
ENERGY STAR® is the simple choice for energy efficiency. For 25 years, EPA’s ENERGY STAR program has been America’s resource for saving energy and protecting the environment. Join the millions already making a difference at energystar.gov.
About Bristol-Myers Squibb
Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global biopharmaceutical company whose mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that help patients prevail over serious diseases. For more information about Bristol-Myers Squibb, visit us at BMS.com or follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Facebook.
Lisa McCormick Lavery, 609-252-7602, email@example.com