MilliporeSigma Named SBER's Outstanding Corporate Leader of 2020/ Synopsys' Barbara Donaldson Named SBER's Outstanding Executive of 2020
February 2, 2021 /3BL Media/ - Sustainability Roundtable, Inc. (SR Inc), the leader in outsourced Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) assistance, announced MilliporeSigma as the Sustainable Business & Enterprise Roundtable (SBER) Outstanding Corporate Leader of 2020 and Barbara Donaldson, Synopsys’ Senior Vice President, Workplace Resources as the SBER Outstanding Corporate Executive of 2020. SR Inc made the announcement at its fourth quarter Executive Symposium webinar in December as Member-clients examined best practices in moving to ESG high-performance and charting a path to Net Zero Emissions.
The Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany operates as MilliporeSigma in the U.S. and Canada, with its U.S. hub in Burlington, Massachusetts. MilliporeSigma is a global life science tools and equipment supplier with a broad and deep portfolio of more than 300,000 products, 22,000 employees and 59 manufacturing sites worldwide. The company recently announced a new sustainability strategy that integrates sustainability as an essential component of its corporate strategy and includes a goal to reach Climate Neutrality across Scopes 1, 2, and 3 by 2040. MilliporeSigma’s sustainability program focuses on three pillars: Sustainable Operations, Greener Products & Solutions and Employee & Community Engagement. To meet the program objectives, the following initiatives have been implemented:
- Each year, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany allocates up to €10 million across its global businesses to fund energy efficiency, renewable energy, and process emission reduction projects. Since 2012, the company has supported more than 450 projects enterprise-wide.
- In 2014, MilliporeSigma created Design for Sustainability, a gold-standard design approach that keeps sustainability at the forefront of each stage of the product life cycle and recently updated the framework to extend benefit further to customers.
- More than 9,700 employees have volunteered some 90,000 hours through a first-of-its-kind, large-scale employee volunteer program which has hosted thousands of events in 36 countries and has engaged approximately 235,000 young minds through educational experiences.
- In addition to offering free electric vehicle charging at MilliporeSigma sites across the world, the company provides incentives for U.S. employees to install solar panels on their homes, conduct home energy audits and purchase or lease hybrid and electric vehicles.
“MilliporeSigma’s ESG leadership, innovation and accomplishments to-date, across functions and business units globally, is as impressive as we have seen working with scores of the world’s best managed companies. This leadership is particularly underscored by the complexity of their health-related product lines. In timely developing and driving towards new net zero emissions goals across Scope 1, 2 and 3, MilliporeSigma demonstrated their commitment to aligning with their customers, employees, suppliers and host communities to create shared value towards the more sustainable economy we all need” - David Osborn, COO, Sustainability Roundtable, Inc.
Synopsys, headquartered in Mountain View, CA is at the forefront of Smart Everything with the world’s most advanced tools for silicon chip design, verification, IP integration, and application security testing. Barbara Donaldson, Synopsys’ Senior Vice President of Workplace Resources manages global real estate, facilities, and security & safety teams with responsibility for more than 125 sites in 30 countries. Barbara is a champion of Synopsys’ CSR program, which focuses on both addressing its operational impact on the world as well as its ability to positively influence its partners. She has been instrumental to the following efforts in advancing the company’s CSR strategy:
- Achieved CarbonNeutral certification across global operations for the second year in a row, offsetting approximately 90,000 MT CO2e in 2020.
- Evolved the real estate & facilities energy avoidance and reduction strategy by focusing on site selection criteria, partnering with landlords and developers, and effective and efficient infrastructure such as HVAC and lighting.
- Set new ambitious goals for emissions reductions aligned with the Science-Based Target Initiative that include transitioning to more impactful renewable energy and carbon removal methods.
“I’m honored to be named the SBER Outstanding Corporate Leader. SR Inc has been instrumental in my efforts to manage the carbon footprint of our operations, understand the latest sustainability best practices and tools, and help us deliver on our company’s ambitious CSR goals. As Synopsys works to deliver on a third year of carbon neutrality while driving toward its emissions reduction target of 25% by 2024, we will continue to look to SR Inc’s strategic advice for supporting the transition to a renewable energy economy. I especially appreciate how they harness the leadership of its member companies to be a part of something greater than the sum of its parts.” - Barbara Donaldson, Senior Vice President of Workplace Resources, Synopsys
“For more than a decade, experts have talked about embedding sustainability into corporate operations but far too few have done it. Barbara Donaldson’s natural and systematic leadership enabled Synopsys to develop and drive to success with a strategy for decarbonizing its operations that many other firms with large internal sustainability teams are still only beginning. Barbara’s outstanding example is one many would benefit from emulating” - Jim Boyle, CEO & Founder, Sustainability Roundtable, Inc.
About the Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
The Life Science business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, which operates as MilliporeSigma in the U.S. and Canada, has some 22,000 employees and 59 manufacturing sites worldwide, with a portfolio of more than 300,000 products focused on scientific discovery, biomanufacturing and testing services.
Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, a leading science and technology company, operates across healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 58,000 employees work to make a positive difference to millions of people’s lives every day by creating more joyful and sustainable ways to live. From advancing gene-editing technologies and discovering unique ways to treat the most challenging diseases to enabling the intelligence of devices – the company is everywhere. In 2019, Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany generated sales of €16.2 billion in 66 countries.
The company holds the global rights to the name and trademark “Merck” internationally. The only exceptions are the United States and Canada, where the business sectors of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany operate as EMD Serono in healthcare, MilliporeSigma in life science, and EMD Performance Materials. Since its founding 1668, scientific exploration and responsible entrepreneurship have been key to the company’s technological and scientific advances. To this day, the founding family remains the majority owner of the publicly listed company. For more information about Merck, KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany, visit www.emdgroup.com.
Synopsys, Inc. (Nasdaq: SNPS) is the Silicon to Software™ partner for innovative companies developing the electronic products and software applications we rely on every day. As an S&P 500 company, Synopsys has a long history of being a global leader in electronic design automation (EDA) and semiconductor IP and offers the industry’s broadest portfolio of application security testing tools and services. Whether you're a system-on-chip (SoC) designer creating advanced semiconductors, or a software developer writing more secure, high-quality code, Synopsys has the solutions needed to deliver innovative products. Learn more at www.synopsys.com.