Morgan Stanley Foundation Announces $1 Million in Grants to Local Food Banks Across the United States
NEW YORK, May 27, 2015 /3BL Media/ – Morgan Stanley Foundation today announced $1 million in grants to local food banks in 24 cities across 17 states to support hunger-relief programs that deliver nutritious meals to children and families. Over the past three years, this specific grant program has awarded more than $4 million from the Firm to help launch, expand and sustain critical childhood feeding programs.
Through its partnership with Feeding America, Morgan Stanley Foundation has awarded more than $14 million to the organization and its network of 200 local food banks that help address childhood hunger through a series of programs that provide nutritious food to children and their families. Through its BackPack and School Pantry programs, the food banks provide families with nutritious foods that are considered necessary for a healthy life.
“Feeding America and its network of local food banks are key partners in our mission to help ensure every child has the essentials they need to a healthy start in life,” said Joan Steinberg, Global Head of Philanthropy at Morgan Stanley. “Regular access to nutritious food is one of those essentials, and we are proud to support the programs that make that a reality both financially and through our employee volunteers who are committed to giving back in the communities where we live and work.”
The following food banks are recipients of the Morgan Stanley Foundation grants:
- Alameda County Community Food Bank (Oakland, CA)
- Capital Area Food Bank (Washington, D.C.)
- Community Food Bank of New Jersey (Hillside, NJ)
- Dare to Care Food Bank (Louisville, KY)
- Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin (Milwaukee, WI)
- Feeding America San Diego (San Diego, CA)
- Food Bank of Northern Nevada (McCarran, NV)
- Foodshare (Bloomfield, CT)
- Freestore Foodbank (Cincinnati, OH)
- Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana, Inc. (Indianapolis, IN)
- Los Angeles Regional Food Bank (Los Angeles, CA)
- Lowcountry Food Bank (Charleston, SC)
- MANNA FoodBank (Asheville, NC)
- Mercer Street Friends Food Bank (Ewing, NJ)
- Mid-Ohio FoodBank (Grove City, OH)
- Mississippi Food Network (Jackson, MS)
- North Texas Food Bank (Dallas, TX)
- Northern Illinois Food Bank (Geneva, IL)
- Redwood Empire Food Bank (Santa Rosa, CA)
- Roadrunner Food Bank (Albuquerque, NM)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Greater New Orleans and Acadiana (New Orleans, LA)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Orange County (Irvine, CA)
- Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara & San Mateo Counties (San Jose, CA)
- Second Harvest Heartland (St. Paul, MN)
These awards build on the Morgan Stanley Foundation’s longstanding commitment to children’s health. Feeding America also serves as a lead national partner in the United States for the Morgan Stanley Healthy Cities, an innovative initiative that brings together national and local nonprofits to create a linked network of nutritious food, safe play spaces and wellness education and health screening for children and families of communities in need.
Food insecurity continues to be an issue facing millions of Americans. According to data from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) released in September 2014, 49 million people in the United States are living in food-insecure households, 16 million of whom are children. Feeding America’s Hunger in America 2014 study found that 89 percent of Feeding America’s client households with at least one child lack reliable access to a sufficient quantity of affordable, nutritious food.
About Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) is a leading global financial services firm providing investment banking, securities, wealth management and investment management services. With offices in more than 43 countries, the Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments, institutions and individuals. For further information about Morgan Stanley, please visit www.morganstanley.com.
About Feeding America
Feeding America is the nationwide network of 200 food banks that leads the fight against hunger in the United States. Together, we provide food to more than 46 million people through 60,000 food pantries and meal programs in communities across America. Feeding America also supports programs that improve food security among the people we serve; educates the public about the problem of hunger; and advocates for legislation that protects people from going hungry. Individuals, charities, businesses and government all have a role in ending hunger. Donate. Volunteer. Advocate. Educate. Together we can solve hunger. Visit www.feedingamerica.org, find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.