ArcelorMittal Highlights the Intersection of Business and Sustainability in the 2019 United States Integrated Report
June 25, 2020 - ArcelorMittal is pleased to announce the publication of our annual United States Integrated Report. This marks ArcelorMittal’s eleventh year of reporting on our corporate responsibility and sustainability initiatives in the United States. This integrated report continues our dedication to transparency and directly connecting our 10 sustainable development outcomes with our business outcomes and financial drivers.
“We know that steel has an essential role to play in a sustainable and resilient future for society due to its continuous recyclability and its contributions to products that support a net zero carbon economy. We also know that steelmaking comes with a unique and complex set of challenges, and that we must continually strive to do better,” said John Brett, president and chief executive officer, ArcelorMittal USA. “I welcome the opportunity to share both our successes and opportunities with you in our 2019 United States Integrated Report.”
Highlights of the 2019 United States Integrated Report include:
- Produced more than 14.2 million tons of raw steel and invested $347 million in ArcelorMittal USA facilities to enhance production capabilities and improve efficiency
- Contributed $8.9 billion in total economic impact including more than $2.2 billion in employee wages and benefits alone at ArcelorMittal USA facilities and AM/NS Calvert (not including expenses related to active and inactive pension and retiree health care)
- 32% of each ton of steel produced by ArcelorMittal in the U.S. is from recycled scrap steel
- Implemented 27 energy projects with enough energy savings to power 14,400 homes for a year
- Generated 59% of the total electrical energy used in steel production at our integrated facilities by capturing and reusing coke oven and blast furnace gas
- Spent $248 million with Minority, Women and Veteran Enterprises, furthering our efforts to diversify our supplier relationships
- Contributed $6.5 million in total community investment, including cash grants and company matching gifts; more than 41% went toward supporting science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education
In support of the company’s efforts to minimize our impact on the environment, the 2019 integrated report is available online to all stakeholders within the sustainability section of usa.arcelormittal.com. The report can be viewed completely online or downloaded in its entirety as a PDF.