Freeport-McMoRan Manages Water Responsibly
Freeport-McMoRan operates mines, smelters, processing facilities and reclamation projects around the world that require water for metal production or for site rehabilitation. The company’s mining operations are in areas where competition for water supplies is significant. Freeport-McMoRan recognizes that access to safe and clean water and sanitation is a fundamental human right and understands the critical importance of responsible water management.
- 81 percent of Freeport-McMoRan’s total utilized water was from recycled or reused sources in 2018.
- Freeport-McMoRan’s water use efficiency was 86 percent in 2018.
Freeport-McMoRan maintains a global water management program designed to
- increase water-use efficiency in processes and minimize fresh water used by operations
- maximize the reuse of water introduced to operations
- replace traditional water supplies with renewable or recycled water supplies
- collaborate with catchment stakeholders, including local communities
To learn more about Freeport-McMoRan’s global water management program, see fcx.com.
Please see the 2018 Working Toward Sustainable Development Report for more information on all of their social, economic and environmental efforts.