MetLife Releases 2019 Sustainability Report Covering COVID-19 Response, New ESG Priorities, and More
June 29, 2020 - MetLife, Inc., has released its 2019 Sustainability Report, outlining accomplishments, milestones and priorities aligned with its purpose: “Always with you, building a more confident future.” In conjunction with the report, MetLife also launched a new sustainability website and ESG Data Center.
The report describes how MetLife responded to the COVID-19 pandemic by meeting the needs of its employees, its customers, and the communities it serves. As of May, the total value of the COVID-19 relief and support provided by MetLife and MetLife Foundation came to more than a quarter of a billion dollars.
Beyond the discussion of its response to the pandemic, the Sustainability Report explores key highlights from 2019, noting that MetLife:
- Made new disclosures relating to the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board and the Taskforce on Climate-Related Financial Disclosure frameworks.
- Rolled out new sustainability priorities that focus on ensuring confidence for our customers, strengthening our workforce, protecting our environment, empowering our local communities, and creating value as an investor.
- Had more than $58 billion in Responsible Investments under management, including green investments, infrastructure, municipal bonds, and impact and affordable housing investments.
- Signed the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment through MetLife’s Institutional Investment Management business.
- Created a new diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy, made a series of new CEO-level D&I commitments, and enhanced its D&I disclosures.
- Became the first insurer to join United Nations Women Global Innovation Coalition for Change.
- Achieved all of its 2020 environmental goals a year early.
- Maintained carbon neutrality for the fourth year in a row.
- Received Fitwel building certifications covering approximately 1.3 million square feet of real estate.
Media Contact Info: