Get Down to Earth With These Earth Day Tips
For more than 50 years, people around the globe have celebrated Earth Day to recognize the vital importance of preserving the environment.
As a leader in the environmental services industry and the second-largest recycler in the U.S., Republic Services is proud to be a trusted resource for communities across the country when it comes to recycling, waste disposal, organic waste processing and so much more.
From our innovative renewable gas projects and award-winning organics program to our industry-leading stance on fleet electrification, we are focused on providing environmental solutions today that meet the needs of tomorrow.
For us, this means going beyond innovating in our business and into our communities. We’re focused on helping consumers – like you – be better stewards of our environment every day. Here are our top five tips for recognizing Earth Day this year.
- Recycle Better. Review the basics of recycling on RecyclingSimplified.com. It’s important that you always follow these three simple recycling practices. First, know what to throw – get familiar with which items are and aren’t recyclable in your area. Second, make sure your recyclables are all empty, clean, and dry before tossing them in your bin. And third, don’t bag your recyclables.
- Go the Extra Mile. So, you’ve mastered at-home recycling. You know what does and doesn’t belong in your curbside recycling cart and your recyclables are handled properly. But, what about the recyclable items that you can’t toss in your bin? You know the special items, like batteries, light bulbs, electronics, and all those plastic bags. Go the extra mile with these items by finding ways to recycle them in your community. Republic Services can be your recycling partner no matter your location with our mail-back programs for batteries, light bulbs, or electronics. Typically, plastic bags can be recycled at your local grocery store.
- Spend Time in the Garden. Earth Day is a great time to plant something in your lawn or garden. Don’t have a lawn or garden? Consider getting a house plant to bring the outdoors inside.
- Leverage your Food Waste. According to the FDA, nearly 40% of the food supply in the U.S. goes to waste. You can put your food waste to work at home by composting. Composting is an excellent way to turn your food waste (and other items) into useful material that can feed your lawn, garden, or other soil. You can start a compost bin at home (even if you live in an apartment) or use an organic waste disposal program to divert your food waste while supporting a more sustainable environment.
- Tell a Friend or Neighbor. Don’t keep your new sustainable habits and practices to yourself. Tell a friend! Share your tips for better recycling and how they can make eco-friendly changes in their life too. You can also work with your neighbors to celebrate Earth Day in three different ways – a socially distanced neighborhood cleanup, sharing recycling tips and best practices for your area, or with a nature scavenger hunt.
Republic Services is committed to sustainability. Through our ambitious 2030 Sustainability Goals, we’re committed to keeping communities clean in a safe and environmentally responsible way, with a focus on preserving precious natural resources and extracting as much value as we can from the materials we collect.