DuPont Publishes 2022 Sustainability Report
- Report details progress on sustainability strategy organized under three pillars: Innovate, Protect and Empower.
- Advanced strategic actions across all nine 2030 Sustainability Goals achieving significant results in three priority goals: Delivering solutions for global challenges, Acting on climate, and Accelerating diversity, equity and inclusion.
WILMINGTON, Del., May 2, 2022 /3BL Media/– DuPont (NYSE: DD) today published its 2022 Sustainability Report detailing the progress made in its environmental, social and governance (ESG) journey, as well as actions to achieve its 2030 Sustainability Goals.
“Despite another year of unforeseen challenges, I’m proud of the resilience and strength our teams have shown in the face of uncertainty and change, showing up every day and delivering what matters to our customers, shareholders, communities and each other," said Ed Breen, DuPont Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “Our sustainability strategy is helping power our transformation as a premier multi-industrial company and strengthening our portfolio to deliver long-term value creation. It’s at the core of how we innovate, operate our businesses, and empower our people every day. At DuPont, we believe the biggest impact we can make toward a more inclusive, sustainable and resilient world is by working with our customers to develop sustainable innovations that address the world’s most pressing challenges.”
Notable 2021 accomplishments highlighted in the 2022 report include:
- Accelerated and increased our innovation value creation potential aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals with deepened customer insights and specialized capabilities.
- Reduced Scope 1 & 2 greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 10% vs prior year, and completed our Scope 3 inventory, identifying priority value chain reduction opportunities.
- Achieved 15% sourcing of renewable electricity through renewable energy credits (RECs) and entered into a virtual power purchase agreement (VPPA) with a subsidiary of NextEra Energy Resources, LLC. The VPPA project is scheduled to commence operations in 2023 and is expected to deliver the equivalent of approximately 528,000 megawatt hours (MWh) of wind-generated renewable electricityannually to the local grid. This is equivalent to approximately 25% of the company’s total electricity needs today.
- Achieved DE&I performance above our benchmarks with 26% gender diversity and 34% ethnic diversity of DuPont senior leaders.
- Delivered strong safety performance in the top 25% of peer companies for Total Recordable Incident performance and Process Safety Tier 1 and 2 incident rates.
- Increased transparency by developing TCFD Index for climate risk assessment and reporting.
- Reduced waste in our operations and along the value chain by diverting 1,230 metric tons of material from landfill and upcycling into higher value applications resulting in a 52% increase over prior year.
- Committed to investing $20 million in the Local Initiatives Support Corporation’s Black Economic Development Fund (BEDF) to incentivize economic activity and wealth building opportunities for Black-led businesses.
- Partnered with water.org to impact more than 100,000 lives in 2021 and improved drinking water access and quality for more than 5 million people through innovative municipal water treatment projects since 2019.
- Participated in over 450 charitable projects in 29 countries impacting over 3.5 million lives since 2020.
“As a global society, we’re more connected today than ever before,” said Alexa Dembek, DuPont Chief Technology and Sustainability Officer. “At DuPont, we’re strengthening those connections across society, culture, opportunities and need by collaborating with customers to create sustainable solutions that have the potential to change the world. The possibilities are endless and ignite our purpose to empower the world with essential innovations to thrive. Over the past year, we’ve made significant strides through those connections with customers, employees, shareholders and communities and are eager to share those stories with you in our 2022 Sustainability Report.”
The report was developed in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Standards, and its methodology aligns with the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB) framework. It also adheres to the ten principles of the United Nations Global Compact (UNGC).
The full Sustainability Report and further details on our 2030 sustainability strategy are available on our new microsite.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) is a global innovation leader with technology-based materials and solutions that help transform industries and everyday life. Our employees apply diverse science and expertise to help customers advance their best ideas and deliver essential innovations in key markets including electronics, transportation, construction, water, healthcare and worker safety. More information about the company, its businesses and solutions can be found at www.dupont.com. Investors can access information included on the Investor Relations section of the website at www.investors.dupont.com.
# # #
DuPont™, the DuPont Oval Logo, and all trademarks and service marks denoted with ™, SM or ® are owned by affiliates of DuPont de Nemours, Inc. unless otherwise noted.
For further information contact:
Cautionary Statement Regarding Forward Looking Statements
This communication contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the federal securities laws, including Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. In this context, forward-looking statements often address expected future business and financial performance and financial condition, and often contain words such as "expect," "anticipate," "intend," "plan," "believe," "seek," "see," "will," "would," "target," and similar expressions and variations or negatives of these words.
Forward-looking statements address matters that are, to varying degrees, uncertain and subject to risks, uncertainties, and assumptions, many of which that are beyond DuPont's control, that could cause actual results to differ materially from those expressed in any forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are not representations or warranties or guarantees of future results.
Forward-looking statements include statements which relate to the purpose, ambitions, commitments, targets, plans, objectives, and results of DuPont’s sustainability strategy. Forward-looking statements include statements related to the standards and measurement of progress against the company’s sustainability goals, including metrics, data and other information, which are based on estimates and assumptions believed to be reasonable at the time. The actual conduct of the company’s activities and results thereof, including the development, implementation, achievement or continuation of any goal, program, policy or initiative discussed or expected in connection with DuPont’s sustainability strategy may differ materially from the statements made herein. The use of the word “material” for the purposes of statements regarding our sustainability strategy and goals should not be read as equating to any use of the word in the company’s other disclosures or filings with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
See DuPont’s most recent annual report and subsequent current and periodic reports filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission for further description of risks factors that could impact the expectations or estimates implied by the Company’s forward-looking statements, including (i) the ability to meet expectations regarding the timing, completion, accounting and tax treatments, and benefits, including integration, related to portfolio changes; (ii) risks and costs related to indemnification of legacy liabilities; (iii) risks and uncertainties related to operational and supply chain impacts or disruptions, including ability to offset increased costs, obtain raw materials, and meet customer needs, and (iv) other risks to DuPont's business and operations. Unlisted factors may also present significant additional obstacles to the realization of forward-looking statements. Consequences of material differences in results as compared with those anticipated in the forward-looking statements could include, among other things, business or supply chain disruption, operational problems, financial loss, legal liability to third parties, loss of key customers, reputational harm and similar risks, any of which could have a material adverse effect on DuPont’s consolidated financial condition, results of operations, credit rating or liquidity. You should not place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date they are made. DuPont assumes no obligation to publicly provide revisions or updates to any forward-looking statements whether as a result of new information, future developments or otherwise, should circumstances change, except as otherwise required by securities and other applicable laws.