EPA Names LG Electronics 2020 ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year
WASHINGTON, March 30, 2020 /3BL Media/ - LG Electronics has been named 2020 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The Sustained Excellence award recognizes LG’s continued leadership in protecting the environment through high-performing, energy efficient products loved by millions of consumers across the country.
“Responsible innovation is the foundation of creating Innovation for a Better Life,” said Thomas Yoon, President and CEO, LG Electronics North America. “With ENERGY STAR, LG is helping consumers make a difference – with products that deliver energy savings to help save money and the planet without sacrificing performance or style.”
Bolstered by its leadership in ENERGY STAR promotions last year, LG helped educate millions of consumers about energy efficiency while increasing sales of ENERGY STAR certified products. The 2020 award recognizes a number of key LG accomplishments:
- American consumers purchased 3.7 million LG ENERGY STAR certified products in 2019. All told, LG’s sales of ENERGY STAR certified products exceeded $2 billion.
- Heeding the EPA’s call for increased attention to ENERGY STAR Most Efficient, LG’s unit sales of Most Efficient products increased 27 percent to over 750,000 units.
- More than 80 percent of LG product models across various categories were ENERGY STAR certified in 2019.
- The number of LG ENERGY STAR models increased by 70 percent for mini-split air conditioners, 31 percent for refrigerators, 25 percent for clothes dryers and 12 percent for washing machines.
- LG raised consumer awareness of ENERGY STAR benefits through retail promotions, social media engagement and advertising on its Times Square billboard in New York.
- Commemorating ENERGY STAR Day, LG partnered with Lowe’s on efficiency upgrades (with LG refrigerators, washers and dryers) for deserving families in Charlotte, N.C.
First recognized as ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year in 2012, LG consistently demonstrates “exemplary commitment and dedication to leadership in energy efficiency and the ENERGY STAR program,” according to Ann Bailey, chief of the EPA's ENERGY STAR Product Labeling Branch.
“LG continues to be a leader in its commitment to ENERGY STAR as seen by its ever-expanding ENERGY STAR product offerings. EPA applauds LG for participating extensively in our campaigns, exposing millions of consumers to the value of ENERGY STAR,” she said
The ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence Award is the highest ENERGY STAR honor, presented to partners that have already received Partner of the Year recognition for a minimum of two consecutive years and have gone above and beyond the criteria needed to qualify for recognition.
Since its inception in 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners like LG have helped American families and businesses save nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. In 2018 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans avoid nearly $35 billion in energy costs.
# # #
About LG Electronics USA
LG Electronics USA, Inc., based in Englewood Cliffs, N.J., is the North American subsidiary of LG Electronics, Inc., a $53 billion global innovator in technology and manufacturing. In the United States, LG sells a wide range of innovative home appliances, home entertainment products, mobile phones, commercial displays, air conditioning systems, solar energy solutions and vehicle components. LG’s focus on environmental sustainability and its “Life’s Good” marketing theme encompass how LG is dedicated to people’s happiness by exceeding expectations today and tomorrow. LG is a 2020 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year – Sustained Excellence. www.LG.com.
About ENERGY STAR
ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, providing simple, credible, and unbiased information that consumers and businesses rely on to make well-informed decisions. Thousands of industrial, commercial, utility, state, and local organizations—including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 500 companies—rely on their partnership with EPA to deliver cost-saving energy efficiency solutions. Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its thousands of partners helped American families and businesses save more than 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity and achieve over 3.5 billion metric tons of greenhouse gas reductions. In 2018 alone, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped Americans avoid nearly $35 billion in energy costs. More background information about ENERGY STAR can be found at: energystar.gov/about and energystar.gov/numbers.
LG Electronics USA
John I. Taylor
202 719 3490