Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights and Discovery Education Launch Speak Truth to Power Educator Master Class Series
SILVER SPRING, Md., December. 10, 2019 /3BL Media/– In celebration of Human Rights Day, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights (RFK Human Rights) and Discovery Education, the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms, have announced the addition of new resources to the Speak Truth to Power program, including a five-part Master Class video series and expanded classroom activities.
“Speak Truth to Power was created to share the power and importance of covering human rights issues in the classroom, and equipping students with the tools to become involved in social justice issues,” said President of Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights Kerry Kennedy. “This video series ensures that teachers feel at ease teaching Human Rights topics to their students by aligning instruction to important trends in education.”
Topics covered in the video series include:
- Real world applications of Speak Truth to Power: How stories told through the program are relevant in students’ lives and how they can gain insight and inspiration to take action.
- Cross-curricular ties to academic expectations: How human rights issues relate to science, mathematics, language arts, the performing arts, and other academic areas.
- Applications within the College, Career, and Civic Life (C3) Standards: How instruction in human rights issues helps students develop questions, plan inquiries, apply disciplinary tools and concepts, evaluate sources and use evidence, communicate conclusions, and take informed action
- Social and emotional learning: How Speak Truth to Power aligns with CASEL competencies: Self-Awareness, Social Awareness, Relationship Skills, and Responsible Decision-Making.
- Alignment with 21st Century skills (critical thinking, communication, collaboration & creativity): How educators can expand students’ skills to prepare them for life and careers of the future.
The series has been created to demonstrate how educators can implement Speak Truth to Power in their classrooms, as well as show how the program aligns to current education trends.
“Discovery Education is humbled to work alongside Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights to create resources that support educators when covering a topic as important as human rights,” said Lori McFarling, President of Corporate Education Partnerships at Discovery Education. “We look forward to sharing this impactful video series with teachers across the country and empowering them to bring these critical lessons back to the classroom.”
To encourage educators to bring human rights content into the classroom, the video series will feature five Speak Truth to Power teachers who are leading the way in Human Rights education, including:
- Estella Owoimaha-Church / Los Angeles, CA
- Robin DeLuca-Acconi / Stony Brook, NY
- Mona Al-Hayani / Toledo, OH
- Chris Buckley / Brookfield, CT
- Michelle Haddix / Indianapolis, IN
“Speak Truth to Power has given both me and my students the courage to fight injustice,” said Michelle Haddix, an educator featured in the series. “I hope that by creating this Master Class, I have inspired fellow teachers to take a stand with their students and join a community of dedicated human rights educators.”
In addition to the video series, Speak Truth to Power will be releasing three new defender classroom activities that are aligned to the stories of the the Dalai Lama, Gabor Gombos and Loune Viaud.
Speak Truth to Power offers immersive educational experiences and unique, multi-platform online learning tools, including: standards-aligned digital resources, video vignettes, a virtual field trip, an interactive map, biographies and thought-provoking classroom activities to tell the unforgettable stories of established human rights activists with the goal of helping students further explore pathways to become champions of justice in their own communities.
Resources are available at no-cost at http://speaktruthtopowerinschool.com/ and within Discovery Education Experience, an award-winning comprehensive digital service supplementing instruction across all K-12 curricular areas.
About Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights:
Led by human rights activist and lawyer Kerry Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights has advocated for a more just and peaceful world since 1968. We work alongside local activists to ensure lasting positive change in governments and corporations. Whether in the United States or abroad, our programs have pursued justice through strategic litigation on key human rights issues, educated millions of children in human rights advocacy and fostered a social good approach to business and investment.
About Discovery Education:
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms. Through its award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia resources, and the largest professional learning network of its kind, Discovery Education is transforming teaching and learning, creating immersive STEM experiences, and improving academic achievement around the globe. Discovery Education’s services are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms and primary schools in the U.K. and reach over 5 million educators and 51 million students in more than 90 countries. Inspired by the global media company Discovery, Inc., Discovery Education partners with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to empower teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. Explore the future of education at DiscoveryEducation.com.
Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights