The new law, which requires that all disposable cups, plates and cutlery are made of biosourced material, and are fully compostible, comes into effect in 2020. It comes as part of the Energy Transition for Green Growth – an ambitious plan that aims to allow France to make a more effective contribution to tackling climate change.
Earth Day Network is the world's largest environmental movement.
The first Earth Day, on April 22, 1970, activated 20 million Americans from all walks of life and is widely credited with launching the modern environmental movement. The passage of the landmark Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act and many other groundbreaking environmental laws soon followed. Twenty years later, Earth Day went global, mobilizing 200 million people in 141 countries and lifting environmental issues onto the world stage. More than 1 billion people now participate in Earth Day activities each year, making it the largest civic observance in the world.
EcoPlanet Bamboo was recently awarded a certificate of recognition by various government agencies for the positive impact the company is having on Nicaragua's environment and natural resources.
The award was presented to CEO and Co-Founder Troy Wiseman, by the Minister of the Environment & Natural Resources (MARENA), the Mayor of the City of Managua and the President of Environmental Organization FONARE.
Poverty and the unsustainable use of land often go hand in hand for forest dependent communities across the developing world, leading to severe forest degradation and eventually forest clearance. In such areas, the development of stable livelihoods is arguably one of the most important aspects in the transition of a population from one depending on small scale shifting agriculture, to a cash economy that can co-exist within areas set aside for conservation purposes.
Chicago, June 14, 2016 /3BL Media/ -- EcoPlanet Bamboo has signed a long-term lease, tripling the size of its Ghana forestry operations to 26,000 acres (10,500 hectares). This expanded area will enable the landscape scale restoration of a highly degraded ecosystem in a commercially viable manner. Remnant forest patches and native vegetation are conserved, and a full canopy cover established, securing critical ecosystem functions while also providing sufficient raw fiber to develop an integrated and sustainable bio-based economy.
EcoPlanet Bamboo’s sustainably grown and managed bamboo provides a secure, certified and indefinite supply of fiber that can provide the raw resource required to meet rising global demand for tree-free fiber.
Multimedia with summary
Consumer items such as toilet paper, packaging, and disposable coffee cups are utilized for a matter of minutes before ending up in landfills around the world. This video shows how EcoPlanet Bamboo's integrated model of combining a sustainable alternative fiber with clean technology provides a solution to the current issues facing these industries and consumers globally.
Whilst visiting Mark Harris on his pineapple farm he takes me past a new bamboo project. He sold 500 hectares of his land to EcoPlanet Bamboo for the development of a bamboo plantation that focuses on providing a secure and certified source of fibre for timber manufacturing industries.
I make contact with Troy Wiseman, CEO of EcoPlanet Bamboo, in the USA to find out more. “We have 72% of the farm under bamboo and the other 28% of the farm has been set aside for biodiversity and conservation purposes.
Deforestation occurs at a heavy pace - billions of trees that can take a hundred years to grow are chopped every year to make products that may only take sixty seconds for a consumer to discard. EcoPlanet Bamboo Group, the world's largest commercial bamboo plantation company, offers a certified and sustainable fiber alternative to timber harvesting.
In January of this year, EcoPlanet Bamboo had the opportunity to feature a short documentary on our West African operations at the Sundance Film Festival. The event was attended by a range of movie stars, prominent environmentalists, and a large audience.
US entrepreneur Troy Wiseman tells Alex Blackburne about his mission to make bamboo the natural world’s next disruptive technology – while making money, providing deforestation-free solutions and helping eradicate poverty.
How does a boy from the US deep south end up being a pioneer in the global sustainable forestry industry? Ask Troy Wiseman that question and he sees it as a fairly linear progression.