FedEx Multiplies Opportunities Around the World: 2019 Global Citizenship Report
FedEx multiplies opportunities using our vast network, which reaches more than 99 percent of the world’s GDP. The 2019 Global Citizenship Report showcases how our networks connect people and possibilities, creating growth for customers, good for our community, potential for our people and efficiencies for the environment.
Our network multiplies growth by empowering entrepreneurship, enabling global trade, supporting job growth and e-commerce. Through our networks, we drive growth and lift economies wherever we operate. In FY18, FedEx:
- Spent $9.6B on goods and services from diverse and small suppliers in the US.
- Committed $4.2B to team members and hub modernization following the U.S. Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.
- Contributed $2.25M to support global entrepreneurship programs.
We multiply good by embedding corporate social responsibility in all that we do. In FY18, 78% of suppliers were screened with sustainability questions in the request for proposals. We also made continued progress toward our social and environmental goals. FedEx has already invested $157M in 252 communities since 2016, exceeding our FedEx Cares goal to invest in 200 global communities and positioned to meet the $200M total contribution goal early. In FY18 alone, the company invested more than $55M in corporate charitable contributions.
Through a variety of initiatives, we multiply potential for our people and provide a workplace that prioritizes inclusion, diversity and safety above all. This is shown even at the highest levels of the company. Four of twelve members on our Board of Directors are women and two are African-American. Our efforts in FY18 helped the company achieve the following accomplishments:
- Retained 92 percent of its full-time U.S. team members.
- Provided an average of 19 hours of formal training per employee.
- Contributed a total of $11M in tuition assistance to more than 8,800 employees.
- Announced a partnership between FedEx Express and The University of Memphis that will allow the 11,000+ employees of the Memphis World Hub the chance to earn a tuition-free, fully-online degree.
FedEx has made great strides in reducing its carbon emissions intensity through the company’s Reduce, Replace, Revolutionize strategy. The strategy focuses on reducing impacts and improving productivity while creating new, more efficient and innovative solutions. Overall, these efforts have contributed to a 37 percent reduction in CO2 emissions intensity on a revenue basis across the enterprise since FY09, a period in which revenue grew by 84 percent. Additional highlights include:
- Avoided more than 2.7 million metric tons of CO2e from fuel and energy saving initiatives last fiscal year alone.
- Saved more than 204 million gallons of fuel and avoided more than 1.97 million metric tons of CO2e emissions during the fiscal year through aircraft modernization and FedEx® Fuel Sense programs.
- Improved FedEx Express vehicle fuel efficiency by 39.6 percent from our 2005 baseline.
- Announced the addition of 1,000 Chanje V8100 electric vehicles to the FedEx Express fleet in California. These electric vehicles can travel more than 150 miles when fully charged and have the potential to help FedEx save 2,000 gallons of fuel while avoiding 20 tons of emissions per vehicle each year. In addition, FedEx added 445 electric vehicles in FY18, bringing the total number to more than 2,554.
The company’s goal to obtain 30 percent of jet fuel from alternative fuels by 2030 also reached a milestone. Red Rock Biofuels, which will supply low-carbon, renewable jet fuel to FedEx Express, broke ground on its bio refinery in Lakeview, Oregon in July 2018, and the first delivery of alternative jet fuel is anticipated in 2020. Also in FY18, the ecoDemonstrator, a Boeing 777F built for FedEx Express, became the first FedEx plane to fly 100 percent on biofuel during a short-term period and also gathered testing data on 35 new technologies.
About FedEx Corp.
FedEx Corp. (NYSE: FDX) provides customers and businesses worldwide with a broad portfolio of transportation, e-commerce and business services. With annual revenues of $69 billion, the company offers integrated business solutions through operating companies competing collectively and managed collaboratively, under the respected FedEx brand. Consistently ranked among the world's most admired and trusted employers, FedEx inspires its more than 450,000 team members to remain focused on safety, the highest ethical and professional standards and the needs of their customers and communities. To learn more about how FedEx connects people and possibilities around the world, please visit about.fedex.com.