Kimberly-Clark A&NZ Launches New Five Year Sustainability Strategy and Latest Sustainability Report
Sydney, August 4, 2016 /3BL Media/ - Kimberly-Clark (K-C) Australia & New Zealand (A&NZ) released its new five-year sustainability strategy. Both globally and locally, K-C’s sustainability goals have transitioned from three pillars of sustainability (People, Planet and Product) to an evolution of five key priority areas - Social Impact, Forests and Fibre, Waste & Recycling, Energy & Climate, and Supply Chain.
The new local sustainability goals are not only structured to align with Kimberly-Clark’s global strategy, but are designed to stretch the local business further. Just some of the goals that will take the Australia and New Zealand business through to 2020 are:
- Improve the wellbeing of 1.2 million people through our brands
- Reduce carbon emissions by 40%
- Continue to go beyond our zero waste mindset by diverting manufacturing and post- consumer waste from landfill
- Maintain 100% of fibre through FSC® certified or FSC® controlled wood sources
The five-year strategy launch coincides with the release of Kimberly-Clark’s 2015 Sustainability Report, which marks the final year of the company’s 5 year award-winning sustainability strategy, called Our Essential World.
Following the conclusion of this strategy, KCA is pleased to announce the company achieved 8 out of 9 of its sustainability goals (and exceeded many of these goals) including:
- Caring for our Communities and our People:
- 37.5% of employees engaged in volunteering programs,
- 36.8% of employees involved in giving programs and for safety;
- 58.6% decrease in reportable injuries since 2011.
- Reducing our Greenhouse Gas Emissions:
- 37.4% reduction in carbon emissions since 2011.
- Diverting waste from landfill:
- Partnering with the REDcycle program and retail customers to help consumers recycle over 20 million pieces of K-C branded flexible plastic packaging waste since the beginning of the partnership in 2013.
- Partnering with Envirocomp, a world-first nappy composting service in New Zealand, has enabled consumers to divert over 19.3 million used nappies from landfill, turning them into usable compost.
Ryan Kane, Sustainability Advisor at Kimberly-Clark Australia and New Zealand comments: “I’m extremely proud of our achievements in the latest progress report. Our strong results reflect our hard work and demonstrate our commitment to continue building new capabilities and stronger partnerships to solve problems, improve lives and add value through innovation.”
Moving forward to 2020, Kimberly-Clark’s sustainability strategy, Our Essential World, evolves to clearly focus on the businesses material environmental and social issues.
Jacquie Fegent-McGeachie, Sustainability Director at Kimberly-Clark Australia and New Zealand says: “Making sustainable choices isn’t always easy, particularly in challenging times. But we know our business has a significant impact on the world, and we’re determined to make sure it’s a positive one.”
Over the last three years, Kimberly-Clark Australia and New Zealand has been recognised for its sustainability achievements by winning 6 prestigious sustainability awards, including:
- Banksia Award - Environment Minister’s Award for a Cleaner Environment (2014)
- Australian Business Awards in both the Innovation and Technology categories (2014)
- Banksia Award for Leading in Sustainability for large Organisations (2013)
- Australian Business Awards for Environmental Sustainability (2013)
- Forest Stewardship Council® Awards - Supplier of the Year Award (2013)
Please download a copy of the 2015 Sustainability report and infographic highlighting the achievements from the last five years, the 2020 goals and the programs in place to help deliver them on the Kimberly-Clark ANZ sustainability report website.
Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, nearly a quarter of the world's population trust K-C’s brands and the solutions they provide to enhance their health, hygiene and well-being. With well-known and trusted brands, Kimberly-Clark holds the No. 1 or No. 2 share position in more than 80 countries. To learn more about the company's 142-year history of innovation, visit www.kimberly-clark.com.
• Kimberly-Clark is a global leader in the ‘essentials for a better life’ across Consumer and Business-to-business markets.
• Kimberly-Clark Australia (KCA) is headquartered at Milsons Point, Sydney NSW.
• The company markets leading household brands including the KLEENEX®, KLEENEX® COTTONELLE®, HUGGIES, U BY KOTEX®, VIVA®, POISE® and DEPEND® ranges.
• Kimberly-Clark Professional represents the company’s B2B business.
• KCA employs over 1300 employees in Australia and operations include:
- Millicent Mill: KLEENEX® Tissue, KLEENEX® COTTONELLE® toilet tissue and VIVA® paper towel
- Ingleburn Mill: HUGGIES® Nappies
- Distribution centres and sales offices in major capital centres
- For further information visit www.kimberly-clark.com.au
For further information contact:
Farah Kataieh, Brand Communications Manager
T: 02 9963 8087
M: 0415 749 528
Julia Schembri, Corporate Communications Manager
T: 02 9963 8856
M: 0432 494 867